Employment First is the philosophy that everyone, including people with significant disabilities, can work in integrated employment. In Kentucky, competitive and integrated employment in the community is the first and primary option for persons with disabilities of working age who have communicated a desire to become employed. Kentucky became an Employment First state on May 15, 2018.
Kentucky has created an Employment First Council that is charged with carrying out the The 27 member group is comprised of people with disabilities, family members, employers, state agency representatives, and provider agencies. The role of the Council is to:
- Identify state policies that create disincentives to employment for people with disabilities and developing recommendations that eliminate them.
- Develop training and resources on meaningful and productive jobs within the general workforce for a variety of audiences, including people with disabilities, families, providers and employers.
- Recommend implementation of effective practices that increase employment opportunities, and;
- Establish measurable goals to assess progress of these efforts.
Council meeting Schedule:
- January 9, 10:00 AM
- April 9, 10:00 AM – Due to the direction to cancel in person meetings, this meeting has been cancelled and will be rescheduled with a Zoom link provided once a date it set.
- June 11, 10:00 AM
All meetings will be held in Frankfort, location TBA, and an online option will be provided.